Who are the governors?
All governors are volunteers who work together for the benefit of the school. They are:
- Parents elected by other parents with children at the school;
- The headteacher;
- Teachers elected by other teachers;
- Non-teaching staff elected by other non-teaching staff;
- People appointed by the local education authority;
- People chosen by governors from the local community.
Please see below for a full list of the present governors and their current responsibilities.
What do governors do?
Our job for the school is to
- Promote high standards of educational attainment;
- Set targets for pupil achievement;
- Take responsibility for strategic planning;
- Manage the school’s budget , including deciding how many staff will work there and their pay;
- Ensure that the curriculum is balanced and broadly based, in particular that the National Curriculum and religious education are taught, and report on pupils’ achievement in National Curriculum assessments and examination results;
- Participate in the appointment of senior staff (including appointing the head teacher) and regulate staff conduct and discipline; and
- Draw up a post-OFSTED action plan after an inspection by the Office for Standards in Education.
The governors at Brookhurst meet regularly as a whole body, but fulfil many of their responsibilities through sub committees.
These sub committees are:
- Performance and Standards Committee
- Resource Management Committee
- Each sub committee meets at least once a term and works on areas that fall under their remit. They make recommendations to the governing body which decides on any necessary actions.
If you wish to talk to someone…
… the first point of contact is the class teacher. If you want to take matters further, you can make an appointment to see Mr Hughes or Miss Stanton via the school office.
Minutes of governor meetings are available from the office. Any confidential matters that may be discussed at governor meetings are not made public for obvious reasons.
Policies and Guidelines Handbook: You can see a copy of any/all of our policies by contacting the school office.
Although certain elements are governed by legislation and the Local Education Authority, the Policies are specific to Brookhurst.
Also available is the School Development Plan (SDP), a rolling three-year programme of actions aimed at the progressive development and improvement of the school.
|Chair of governors|
|Name||Appointed by||From||To||Contact||Committee||Lead Area||Class Link|
|Joe Cannon||Appointed by GB/board||10/07/2017||09/07/2021||Cannon.firstname.lastname@example.org||Resources/Performance & Standards/Pay Committee||Board Chair||6EH|
|Angela Stanton||Ex-officio by virtue of office as headteacher/principal||26/11/2001||Not email@example.com||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Bill Gifford||Nominated by LA and appointed by GB||02/09/2014||17/09/2022||Gifford.firstname.lastname@example.org||Resources & Pay Committee||Head Teacher Appraisal||4B|
|Emma Hugill||Appointed by GB/board||01/04/2019||31/03/2023||Hugill.email@example.com||N/A||Pupil Premium||N/A|
|Jennifer Burns||Elected by parents||15/10/2018||14/10/2022||Burns.firstname.lastname@example.org||Performance and Standards||Safe Guarding||4W|
|Jonathan Turton||Appointed by GB/board||21/09/2020||21/09/2024||Turton.email@example.com||tbc||Numeracy||5AH|
|Leah Harper||Elected by parents||12/06/2017||12/06/2021||Harper.firstname.lastname@example.org||Resources||Literacy & Head Teacher Appraisal||2G|
|Lesley Coles||Appointed by GB/board||14/09/2014||17/09/2022||Coles.email@example.com||Performance and Standards & Pay Committee||Early Years||FP/FH|
|Linda Wythe||Appointed by GB/board||11/07/2013||17/09/2022||Wythe.firstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Richard Cargill||Elected by parents||23/08/2019||31/08/2023||Cargill.email@example.com||Performance and Standards||SEND & Chair Head Teacher Appraisal||3M|
|Rob Wesson||Appointed by GB/board||22/09/2013||18/09/2021||Wesson.firstname.lastname@example.org||Chair of Resources||Health & Safety||3F|
|Robert Nash||Appointed by GB/board||16/11/2020||16/11/2024||Nash.email@example.com||Tbc||Tbc||Tbc|
|Stephanie Beamish||Elected by school staff||13/07/2020||13/07/2024||Beamish.firstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Suzanne Danon||Parent appointed by GB/board due to no election candidates||13/10/2020||13/10/2024||Danon.email@example.com||Tbc||Tbc||Tbc|
|Jane Hancox||Clerk to the Governing Body Janehancox@firstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Historic (left within last 12 months)|
|Alison Foster||Governor||Appointed by GB/board||05/12/2016||04/12/2020|
|Emma Pride||Governor||Elected by parents||13/11/2017||09/07/2020|
|Karen Mothersdale||Governor||Elected by parents||30/05/2012||30/05/2020|
|Sally Connell||Governor||Elected by school staff||01/04/2016||01/04/2020|
|Sarah Gurney||Governor||Elected by parents||10/10/2016||10/10/2020|