Year 5 home learning is emailed to parents daily (as requested by parents).
During the current phased return to school, children who are in school will be accessing the same learning opportunities as the children at home.
Home Learning activities consist of the following:
- Spelling and grammar using the Schofield and Simms books – majority of the children have the books at home – however, we do email scanned pages
- Daily challenge from Mrs Clarke
- Choosing grid
The mathematics and literacy are in line with our Long Term Plans for Year 5 and are supported through activities and resources from Hamilton Trust.
The mathematics has a level of self-challenge through the mild and hot activities and further extended through the Investigation.
Literacy activities include writing, reading and grammar exercises, along with opportunites for the children to perform – for example poetry or speeches.
Resources to support learning and teaching for mathematics and literacy consist of web-links, youtube videos, powerpoint presentations, revision cards and detailed daily notes on what the children’s learning opportunities are.
We have developed a choosing grid that is sent out fortnightly to give the children a variety of activities. We try, wherever possible to include activities for the other subjects that follow our topic grid for the Summer term. Where appropriate we utilise BBC Bitesize, BBC Daily Lessons and Oak Academy. We also include activities for the children to have fun – for example creating their own board games, designing and building an obstacle course and art activites.
The children are also given, a daily challenge from Mrs Clarke which complements our range of activities.
In addition to Mathematics, Literacy, choosing grid activities and Mrs Clarke’s daily challenges we also encourage the children to
- participate in the daily Joe Wickes PE video
- watch and participate in the PE lessons from Lewis / Matty
- encourage to participate in the PE challenges that Mr Fullbrook sends out
- read daily
- Practice spelling using the Year 5/6 word list
- Handwriting practice using the Year 5/6 word list
- Listen to “Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone” being read on the Wizarding World website
- Encourage use of Mathletics, PiXL Times Table app, PiXL unlock app, timestables.co.uk etc
- Encourage children to “visit” a place virtually
There are daily StarLeaf calls, Monday-Thursday at 2:30pm (5AH) and 3:00pm (5H) with the class teacher, Mrs Clarke and Mrs Gryparis joining. The calls are used to enable the children to speak to each other and the year group team, have the opportunity to share work, activities or anything that they have done at home with each other. We have also used these times to play a game, have a scavenger hunt, tell jokes, have a general knowledge quiz or simply say Hello to each other. Once a week the StarLeaf call is led by Mrs Honey.
The children are encouraged to take part in the StarLeaf calls and to upload items to our class blogs via Purple Mash.
Along with the StarLeaf calls and the class blogs, the children (and their parents) are encouraged to contact the class teacher direct through email.
This is the current topic web for our Year Five pupils.
Every term we publish the topic webs for each year-group showing what they will be studying during the course of this term. This allows you to help reinforce your child’s learning at home, with reading, discussions and activities, perhaps even related trips.
- Summer 2021 will be uploaded soon