Ofsted Report – January 2019
Following our Ofsted Inspection on Thursday 10 January, I am delighted to announce that Brookhurst Primary School has successfully retained its good status under Ofsted inspectorate definitions.
Throughout the inspection all of our children did a great job in ensuring that everything that we do in school was well represented and they were able to confidently showcase their own achievements and learning. We are all very proud of them. We are also hugely grateful for the level of parental support that you extended during the day, and thank you to everyone who took the time to complete ParentView and those who spoke with the inspector directly. Your feedback will continue to inform and guide our annual planning.
Within the report, the Inspector recognised many great strengths and qualities in our school along with areas for further attention.
Our main Headlines are;
- The School continues to maintain a good quality of education and teaching standards.
- There is a great sense of community that flows through the school
- Pupils enjoy school and learn a lot through a broad and rounded curriculum
- The extended focus on Music and Sports is impressive
- Children behave really well and work hard in their lessons
- We have good assessment tools in place to understand a child’s progress and we use this information well.
- Attainment is good in KS1 and Foundation
- The Head Teacher and Senior Leadership Team effectively empower and develop staff teams to successfully drive change and improvement across the school
- There is a strong Governing body that challenges and holds the leadership team to account
- The School is clear on areas for continuous improvement and are able to build solutions to address these.
- All recommendations from the last inspection (2014) have been successfully addressed and improvements made.
- Teaching assistants are highly effective and used well
- Safeguarding is effective and taken very seriously and children understand how to keep themselves safe
- Robust and well organised procedures for identifying pupils who may need SEND support
Our Horizons will be:
- challenge the children more in maths particularly the most able
- develop reading comprehension skills more
- provide sufficient opportunities to apply mathematical understanding through reasoning
- have precise school improvement priorities that can be successfully measured for impact
At Brookhurst we hold high aspirations for our children and our school, and we will continue to drive improvements that are underpinned by our school improvement plan and priorities. We will be regularly offering updates on progress via the newsletter, website and parents forum and there will be the opportunity for enhanced parental participation.
This external recognition is a genuine reflection of the hard work, dedication and commitment by everyone who is part of our school community. I would however like to personally extend my thanks to all of our fabulous teachers and staff teams who work tirelessly to create an environment where all of our children can learn and grow.
We would like to share the report with you and feel that it is an accurate reflection of our school. So make yourself a coffee and have a read.